Parks & Recreation
Please read below for updates on re-openings of Parks & Recreation Department facilities and status of programs:
- Aquatics programs - POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE: public swim; private swim lessons (private lessons are available at Atlantic Pool through Jax Mobile Swim School, a contracted swimming instruction service; email Whitney at firstname.lastname@example.org). Summer group swimming lessons have been canceled; Junior Lifeguard Exploration, Ocean Beach Junior Lifeguard, and Aqua Adventure Camp have been canceled for summer 2020. Atlantic Pool is open for lap swim and Aqua Aerobics only. First come, first served. Social distancing waiting area available. View hours in the Aquatics/Scuba section. MLK, Jr. Pool will remain closed until further notice. Aqua Aerobics have no separate classes for shallow water, deep water, and Aqua Gym. Please view downloadable flyer in Aquatics/Scuba section, Aqua Aerobics link for more information. Atlantic Kiddie Pool is open Monday - Sunday with some limitations. More information in the Aquatics/Scuba section. Scuba certification classes have resumed but with a reduced class size (6 participants maximum), social distancing requirements, and online academics.
- SUMMER CAMP HAS BEEN CANCELED: Summer Camp Amelia at the Atlantic Center; Summer Learning Program at the MLK, Jr. Center. The Atlantic Recreation Center offices and MLK, Jr. Recreation Center offices are open.
- Youth and adult sports / leagues - WEEKLY PROGRAMS ARE POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE: Open Basketball, Youth Team Volleyball, Open Adult Volleyball, and Open Adult Indoor Soccer at Peck Gym. Registration for the fall Co-ed Open Softball League has been postponed until further notice.
- Peck Gym basketball/volleyball court remains closed until further notice. Peck Gym fitness areas are open.
- City sports fields - CLOSED TO ORGANIZED GROUP ACTIVITIES UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE: Hickory Street Park; Joe Velardi Field; Eugene Richo Field; Buccaneer Field on Beech Street; Charles Albert Field; MLK, Jr. practice field; Ybor Alvarez Softball Fields and soccer fields.
- Indoor fitness areas - Atlantic Fitness Room is open normal days/hours. See Fitness Opportunities section for days/hours. Peck Gym Cardio Area and Weight Room are open: Monday - Friday, 11:00am-7:00pm.
- Instructed programs - Instructed programs have resumed. Please contact instructors for schedules. Aerial yoga and aerial dance classes at the Atlantic Center; yoga at the Atlantic Center; Karate, Little Ms. Fitness Fernandina, Kenjutsu, and Ju Jitsu at the Peck Center; youth and adult tennis clinics with Rod Gibson Tennis Services at Central Park Tennis Courts.
- Central Park tennis courts and pickleball courts, as well as the petanque courts, are open, but users are encouraged to maintain social distancing and employ personal protective measures.
- Amelia Island Lighthouse tours - SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
- The Fernandina Beach Skate Park at Main Beach is open, but users are encouraged to maintain social distancing and employ personal protective measures.
- The City’s restroom facilities at Main Beach Park and Seaside Park are open and will be cleaned and maintained four times daily per the terms of a Nassau County contract.
Additionally, indoor facility rentals are not being taken until further notice due to CDC recommendations of limiting group sizes. Rentals of park pavilions are being taken through the Atlantic Recreation Center administrative office, but renters are advised to adhere to CDC guidelines for social distancing (www.cdc.gov).
If you have questions about any of the information above, please call the Atlantic Recreation Center Administrative Office at 904-310-3350 Monday - Friday between 8:00am-6:30pm, Saturday between 8:00am-3:30pm. Changes/updates will be posted on this page as they become available. Thank you.
The Parks & Recreation Department is committed to enriching the quality of life through exceptional programs, parks, and other facilities, while preserving the community’s natural environment for the enjoyment of our citizens. The Parks & Recreation Department is responsible for:
- City parks and playgrounds
- Sports and fitness facilities
- Recreation centers/swimming pools
- Egans Creek Greenway
- Amelia Island Lighthouse
- Bosque Bello Cemetery
- Landscaping of Historic Downtown
- Lightning/Pool Status - ThorGuard
The Department also offers or co-sponsors various adult and youth sports and activities; aquatics programs and scuba instruction; youth afterschool programs and summer camps; senior programs; instructed programs; and special events.
Financial assistance is available for City-sponsored programs to any City resident that meets the financial criteria. Anyone interested should call the Atlantic Center Administrative Office at 904-310-3350 for more information.
To download a Financial Assistance Application, please click on the following link: Financial Assistance Application
Please allow three (3) business days for notification of approval or denial of financial assistance. Notification may be made by phone call, email, or mailed letter.
Thor Guard Lightning Prediction System at City Parks and Recreation Centers
For the outdoor safety of our citizens and guests, the City of Fernandina Beach has Thor Guard Lighting Prediction Systems installed at several locations throughout the city:
- Atlantic Recreation Center on Atlantic Avenue
- MLK, Jr. Recreation Center on Elm Street
- Main Beach Park
- Buccaneer Field on Beech Street
- Ybor Alvarez Sports Complex on Bailey Road
- Fire Station #2 (across Fletcher Avenue from Seaside Park)
When lightning is detected in the area of either of the above locations, a loud horn blast will sound from the system(s), as well as a strobe will flash. For an explanation of the procedure for the lighting prediction systems, please open the following link:
Register for our programs online!
You now have the capability to register for our programs online through the Parks & Recreation Department’s RecPro website: www.cofbparksandrec.us. First-time users must create accounts.
Currently, users may register for the following programs on the RecPro website:
- Senior trips
- Homeschool swim clinics (spring and fall)
- Summer group swimming lessons - CANCELED FOR SUMMER 2020
- Summer Aqua Adventure Camp - CANCELED FOR SUMMER 2020
- Summer Junior Lifeguard Exploration and Ocean Beach Junior Lifeguard - CANCELED FOR SUMMER 2020
- 1-month, 4-months, and 12-months passes for Fitness, Pool, and Aqua Aerobics
- Adult sports leagues - CANCELED FOR SUMMER 2020
Also, rental fees for pavilions in City parks may be paid online, and requests for facility rentals may be made. Opens in New Window
Opens in New Windo Opens in
Specialty Aqua Fitness Classes by Indigo Aquatics in August
August 21st - MLK, Jr. Pool on Elm Street
- Acquapole Boxing from 9:00-10:15am
- Acquapole Tone from 10:35-11:50am
August 22nd - Atlantic Pool on Atlantic Avenue
- Liquid Gym Star from 4:00-5:15pm
These are all high intensity specialty classes. More information at www.indigoaquatics.com
$5 per class City residents, $6 Non-City
Participants must me willing to sign a photo release form.
Space is limited in each class. Call or email Kaitlyn Brown in advance to register: 904-310-3362; email@example.com
Fall Adult Co-ed Open Softball League Registration Postponed Until Further Notice
Registration for the fall Co-ed Open Softball League, originally scheduled to begin on July 13th, has been postponed until further notice. New registration dates and fall season opening night date will be posted on this website when they are determined.
Two weeks of registration: On-time - July 13th - 17th: $360 team registration fee Late - July 20th - 24th: $385 team registration fee Two-game refundable forfeit fee due no later than July 31st: $72 Season begins August 3rd
Opens in New Window Opens in New Window Private Swim Lessons
Lessons available in either single 30-minute sessions or packages of 4 lessons. Ages 6 months - adult. Weekday morning and early afternoon hours only. Days and times are based on instructor availability.
For more information, please open the following link: Private swim lessons
NOT Opens in New Window Opens in New Window NOTE: Private swim lessons with City instructors are postponed until further notice. Lessons are available, however, at Atlantic Pool through Jax Mobile Swim School, a contracted swimming instruction service. Email Whitney at firstname.lastname@example.org
Opens a New Window.
Opens a New Window. Opens a New Window. Opens a New Wi O
Opens a New W Opens a New Win Opens a New Window. Parks Master Plan
October 20, 2015: The City Commission adopted the Parks and Recreation Master Plan. This plan is directed by the City’s Comprehensive Plan in the Recreation and Open Space Element. Email email@example.com for information.
City Resident Verification Cards
In order to receive City resident rates for pool (Atlantic and MLK, Jr. Pools) or fitness (Atlantic Fitness Room and Peck Gym) use, patrons must show City Resident Verification Cards. City Resident Cards may be obtained at the Atlantic Recreation Center. To obtain a card, a patron must show proof of address (driver’s license, City water bill). City resident status will be confirmed via the Nassau County Property Appraiser’s website. Patron will then have his/her picture taken. First card is free, replacement or duplicate cards are $5 each.
NOTE: Active and retired U.S military receive City resident rates on all applicable department programs with valid military identification
Atlantic Fitness Room
This workout facility at the Atlantic Recreation Center possesses all of the equipment you need for a total body workout - cardio equipment; selectorized machines; resistance bands; free weights; and more. The price is right, whether paying daily or monthly fees, and there are NO initiation fees and NO contracts. Personal training with a certified trainer is available. If you’re ready to get in shape, this facility will meet all of your fitness needs.
Fitness Facility Fees: Link