Land Development Code
What is it?
The City’s Land Development Code (LDC) is enacted pursuant to the requirements and authority of Section 163.3202, Fla. Stat. et seq. (the Local Government Comprehensive Planning and Land Development Regulation Act) and the general powers established in Chapters 186-191, Florida Statutes (Municipal Planning and Development) and the Constitution of the State of Florida. All real property within the City is subject to a variety of regulations. The Community Development Department is tasked with administering them through the local permitting process. The public is advised to consult the LDC for specific guidance or speak with a member of the Planning Staff for elaboration/interpretation of its standards and requirements.
The purpose of the LDC is to implement the City’s Comprehensive Plan by establishing regulations, procedures and standards for review and approval of all development and use of land within the municipal boundaries. Further, this LDC is adopted in order to foster and preserve public health, safety, comfort, and welfare in the City. It is the intent of this Code that the development processes in Fernandina Beach be:
- efficient, in terms of time and expense,
- effective, in terms of addressing its natural, historical, and cultural resources and public facility implications of proposed development, and
- equitable, in terms of providing consistency with established regulations and procedures, respect for the rights of property owners, and consideration of the interests of the citizens in the City of Fernandina Beach.
LDC Cover with Amending Ordinance References
- Chapter 1- General Provisions
- Chapter 2- Zoning Districts and Uses
- Chapter 3- Environmental and Resource Protection
- Chapter 4- Site Design Requirements
- Chapter 5- Accessory and Temporary Uses
- Chapter 6- Supplemental Standards and Special Situations
- Chapter 7- Infrastructure and Concurrency Standards
- Chapter 8- Historic Districts and the Community Redevelopment Area (CRA)
- Chapter 9- Boards and Commissions
- Chapter 10- Variations from Code Requirements
- Chapter 11- Administration and Decision Making Procedures
**PLEASE NOTE - The Chapters contained herein represent the latest LDC reprint as of JULY 2017. The Land Development Code is subject to amendment from time to time by action of the City Commission. There may be a time delay between the approval of an amendment and its publication on this web page. Users of this site are encouraged to confirm LDC information with City planning staff.