Land Development Code
What is it?
The City’s Land Development Code (LDC) is enacted pursuant to the requirements and authority of Section 163.3202, Fla. Stat. et seq. (the Local Government Comprehensive Planning and Land Development Regulation Act) and the general powers established in Chapters 186-191, Florida Statutes (Municipal Planning and Development) and the Constitution of the State of Florida. All real property within the City is subject to a variety of regulations. The Community Development Department is tasked with administering them through the local permitting process. The public is advised to consult the LDC for specific guidance or speak with a member of the Planning Staff for elaboration/interpretation of its standards and requirements.
The purpose of the LDC is to implement the City’s Comprehensive Plan by establishing regulations, procedures and standards for review and approval of all development and use of land within the municipal boundaries. Further, this LDC is adopted in order to foster and preserve public health, safety, comfort, and welfare in the City. It is the intent of this Code that the development processes in Fernandina Beach be:
- efficient, in terms of time and expense,
- effective, in terms of addressing its natural, historical, and cultural resources and public facility implications of proposed development, and
- equitable, in terms of providing consistency with established regulations and procedures, respect for the rights of property owners, and consideration of the interests of the citizens in the City of Fernandina Beach.
LDC Cover with Amending Ordinance References Opens a New Window.
- Chapter 1- General Provisions Opens a New Window.
- Chapter 2- Zoning Districts and Uses Opens a New Window.
- Chapter 3- Environmental and Resource Protection Opens a New Window.
- Chapter 4- Site Design Requirements Opens a New Window.
- Chapter 5- Accessory and Temporary Uses Opens a New Window.
- CHAPTER 6 Opens a New Window. Chapter 6- Supplemental Standards and Special Situations Opens a New Window.
- Chapter 7- Infrastructure and Concurrency Standards Opens a New Window.
- Chapter 8- Historic Districts and the Community Redevelopment Area (CRA) Opens a New Window.
- Chapter 9- Boards and Commissions Opens a New Window.
- Chapter 10- Variations from Code Requirements Opens a New Window.
- Chapter 11- Administration and Decision Making Procedures Opens a New Window.
**PLEASE NOTE - The Chapters contained herein represent the latest LDC reprint as of February 2019. The Land Development Code is subject to amendment from time to time by action of the City Commission. There may be a time delay between the approval of an amendment and its publication on this web page. Users of this site are encouraged to confirm LDC information with City planning staff.