Citizens’ Task Force for Safe Walking & Biking
Under the direction of the Deputy City Manager, the goal of the Fernandina Beach Citizens’ Advisory Task Force on Walking and Biking (“Task Force”) is to gather proposals from residents and visitors on sidewalks, trails, paths, and bike lanes to make our community more accessible and friendly for walkers, runners, cyclists and people with mobility issues.
Every recent Fernandina Beach citizen survey reflects walkability and bikeability a top priority for residents. With a growing population and 1.6 million visitors to Amelia Island each year, it’s time to prioritize mobility alternatives for walking and biking.
The Deputy City Manager has appointed a panel of seven City residents representing diverse neighborhoods, interests and physical abilities, including a member of the Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee.
How and When
The Task Force held its initial organizational meeting on March 22, 2023 at City Hall, 204 Ash Street. The Citizens’ Task Force for Safe Walking and Biking in Fernandina Beach (“Task Force”) invites the public to attend and provide input at any or all of the public meetings listed below.
• Monday, April 17, 2023, from 5-7 p.m. at the Peck Center Auditorium: Robert Companion, Nassau County Deputy Manager/County Engineer provide an update on the extension of multiuse trails on Amelia Island including S. 14th St. and gather community input.
• Tuesday, May 23, 2023 from 5-7 p.m. at the Peck Center Auditorium: Second Community Walking and Biking Town Hall Meeting to invite additional citizen input.
• Wednesday, May 31, 2023 from 4-6 p.m. at City Commission Chambers: The Task Force will hold a consensus-building meeting to select short-, mid- and long-term recommendations.
• Monday, June 12, 2023 from 4-6 p.m. at City Commission Chambers: The Task Force will hold a community meeting and share the draft Task Force Final Report.
• Tuesday, July 11, 2023, at 6:00 p.m. at the City Commission’s Regular Meeting at City Hall: The Task Force will present a Report of Community Recommendations to Promote Safe and Accessible Walking and Biking in Fernandina Beach.