For over 10 years, Fernandina Beach has participated in the Community Rating System (CRS) of the National Flood Insurance Program. The City’s class 6 CRS rating results in a 20% discount on flood insurance rates for residents and business owners within a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). For businesses and residents located in a Flood Zone X or not within a SFHA the discount is up to 10%.
Standard homeowner and commercial property insurance policies do not cover flood losses, so the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) administers this program to meet a vital coverage need. It offers federally backed insurance for people in communities that comply with guidelines for flood plain management.
The Community Rating System gives us points for complying with FEMA standards. The following are examples of how the community earns CRS points:
- Enforcing higher standards and regulations for safer construction practices;
- Encouraging residents to retrofit homes and buildings making them less susceptible to flooding;
- Maintaining drainage systems;
- Preserving open space – such as marshlands and undisturbed lands that can naturally receive and carry off water;
- Reducing hazards;
- Informing citizens about flood prevention, protection, and flood insurance; and providing specific information regarding their community and risks.
Community Rating System
By following specified practices outlined by FEMA and the Community Rating System (CRS) the City acquires CRS points, and with enough points, community residents and business owners are entitled to a discount on flood insurance rates. The City's efforts to reduce risk from flood damage is reviewed on an annual basis.
Our practices and efforts have advanced Fernandina Beach to a Class 6 CRS rating. This class results in a greater than 20% discount on insurance rates for citizens and businesses located in a SFHA. The City is among the top 1/5 nationally of all participating communities in the CRS program.
- Flood Provisions in the 6th Edition Florida Building Code (FBC)
- Coastal Construction Line Requirements - 6th Edition FBC
- Flood Resistant Construction - 6th Edition FBC
- Highlights of Flood Resistant Design and Construction
- Fernandina Beach Flood Map Panels (Please be patient due to large file size)
- Fernandina Beach Flood Insurance Study Volume 1 of 2
- Fernandina Beach Flood Insurance Study Volume 2 of 2
KIDS SECTIONBE A HERO AND GET PREPARED! Kids can help with preparation too! Here are some resources that you may find helpful to get your kids involved with building an emergency kit, preparing before a storm, and explaining hazards.
PSSST! KIDS- CLICK HERE TO HELP YOUR FAMILY GET READY!
|The Traveling Floodplain||Photos|
|2018 FEMA Conference Presentation||Photos - Presentation Slides|
|FEMA Scholarship Award for National Conference||Photos|
|Farmer's Market Booth "Build Responsibly"||Photos|
|Fernandina Beach Middle School Career Day - 2018||Photos|
|Floodplain Front Counter Message - April 2018||Photos|
|Floodplain Front Counter Message - March 2018||Photos|
|Floodplain Front Counter Message - February 2018||Photos|
|Floodplain Front Counter Message - January 2018||Photos|
|Floodplain Front Counter Message - December 2017||Photos|
|Floodplain Front Counter Message - November 2017||Photos|
|Floodplain Front Counter Message - October 2017||Photos|
|Shrimp Festival Booth - May 2017||Photos|
|Fernandina Beach Middle School Career Day - 2017||Photos|
|Fernandina Beach Middle School Career Day - 2016||Photos|
|Shrimp Festival Booth - May 2016||Photos|
|Poster Contest Winners - 2017||Photos|
|Stormwater Messaging - Partner Donation||Photos|
|City and County Floodplain Outreach||Brochure|
|Elementary Schools - Book Readings- 2017||Photos|
|FEMA Resiliency Meeting - February 2018||Photos|