This "sport" is a combination of tennis and ping pong, played on a badminton-sized court with a net close to the ground, where players use paddles and a small wiffle ball. Find out more at www.pickleball.com or www.usapa.org.
Open pickleball is played at the Central Park Pickleball Courts, behind Tennis Courts Number 3 and Number 4 at the corner of South 13th Street and Atlantic Avenue. Six (6) lighted pickleball courts are available. The gates at the courts are locked. Gate keys may be purchased at the Atlantic Recreation Center during normal operating hours for $20 (Monday - Friday from 7:00am-7:00pm, Saturday from 8:00am-4:00pm).
For information about the Fernandina Beach Pickleball Pirates, an informal group that organizes play at the Central Park pickleball courts and provides equipment, click on the following link: FB Pickleball Pirates; or follow Fernandina Beach Pickleball Pirates on Facebook.
Reserved group play schedule (as of 9/23/2019):
- Sunday: 3:00pm - Introduction to Pickleball / Beginner Play
- Sunday: 4:00pm - Social Play with challenge court
- Monday: 8:00am - Women's Open Play (all levels)
- Monday: 4:00pm - Advanced Play with challenge court (3.5+)
- Tuesday: 8:00am - Intermediate / Advanced Play (3.0/3.5+) with challenge court
- Tuesday: 10:00am - Social Play (Experienced Beginners, 2.5 and 3.0)
- Wednesday: 4:00pm - Intermediate / Advanced Play (3.0/3.5+) with challenge court
- Thursday: 8:00am - Men's Open Play (all levels)
- Friday: 8:00am - Intermediate / Advanced Play (3.0/3.5+) with challenge court
- Friday: 10:00am - Social Play (Experienced Beginners, 2.5 and 3.0)
Not sure what playing level you are? Click on the following link for a description of the levels listed above: What level am I? Opens a New Window.
If you would like to be added to the group email list, send a request to email@example.com
Instruction and Clinics
Rod Gibson Tennis Services, a contracted instructor with the City of Fernandina Beach, offers pickleball lessons (private and group) and group clinics at the Central Park Pickleball Courts. It is recommended that prospective players attend the Introduction to Pickleball / Beginner Play group on Sunday afternoons from 3:00-4:00pm to learn the basics of the game. This is a free play time, but registration is required so all players can be accommodated. Call or email Rod Gibson, Director of Tennis & Pickleball, to register: 904-891-6927; firstname.lastname@example.org
Call or email Rod to register. 24 hours cancellation required.
Private lessons with director: $60/hour City resident, $70 Non-City; $30/half-hour City resident, $35 Non-City
Private lessons with staff professional: $50/hour City resident, $60 Non-City; $25/half-hour City resident, $30 Non-City
Semi-private (2 students) lessons with director: $35/hour City residents, $40 Non-City
Semi-private with staff professional: $30/hour City resident, $35 Non-City
Group lessons with director
- 3 students: $24/hour City resident, $27 Non-City
- 4 students: $18/hour City resident, $20 Non-City
Group lessons with staff professional
- 3 students: $20/hour City resident, $24 Non-City
- 4 students: $15/hour City resident, $18 Non-City
Call or email Rod to register. Space is limited. 24 hours cancellation required.
Beginner/Advanced Beginner (2.0 - 2.5)
Wednesdays from 9:00-10:00am
$10 City resident, $12 Non-City
Intermediate (3.0 - 3.5)
Wednesdays from 10:00-11:30am
$15 City resident, $18 Non-City